Following a keto diet can be difficult, but there are several apps available to help people track their macronutrients. Some of these apps also include recipes and nutritional information for a variety of foods.
The features of keto apps vary, and a person’s preference is likely to be influenced by their level of experience with the diet as well as their specific goals.
This article will look at some of the best keto diet apps. We also talk about what a keto diet is and what the research says about it.
A ketogenic diet, also known as a keto diet, is a low carbohydrate diet that some people use to lose weight or reduce body fat percentage. The diet is high in fat, low in carbohydrates, and moderate in protein. People keep track of these macronutrients (macros) in order to consume them in the following ratio: Reliable Source:
Fat content of 55–60%
Protein content of 30–35%
carbohydrate content of 5–10%
This would imply consuming 20–50 grams (g) of carbohydrates per day for a 2,000-calorie intake.
The approach is based on the science of putting the body into a state of ketosis.
When available, glucose is the body’s primary source of energy, and it will choose it over any other source. Glucose is obtained from carbohydrates in the diet.
When a person consumes less than 50 g of carbohydrate per day, the body changes its energy source, producing ketone bodies to be used as fuel instead. Ketosis is the name given to this metabolic state.
The body produces less insulin during ketosis, causing it to store less glucose as fat. In this way, the keto diet can benefit someone who wants to lose weight and body fat.
Experts generally believe it is safe because the amount of ketone bodies produced by the body has no effect on the pH of the blood. This fact distinguishes ketosis from ketoacidosis, a potentially fatal condition in which much larger numbers of ketone bodies alter the pH of the blood, causing it to become acidic.
Continue reading to learn about some of the best apps for people on a keto diet.
1. Carb Manager
Carb manager is a free program. There is also a premium paid-for version with many additional features.
- This app allows users to track their macronutrients and true net carbs (the number of carbs absorbed by the body after subtracting sugar alcohols and fiber). If a user exceeds their macro limits, the app will notify them.
- People can connect with friends and join a keto community to share their progress.
- They can track weight, exercise, calories, and water in addition to macros. Intermittent fasting is also supported by the app.
- There are also a variety of extra features, such as diet articles, forums, and weekly challenges.
Fitness integrations, such as a step tracker, are available only in the premium version.
Senza is free to download.
Senza has features that will appeal to both beginners and experienced keto dieters.
There is a “5 days to keto” guide for beginners to help them transition from a regular diet. Those who are already familiar with the diet can monitor their glucose, ketones, and insulin load.
Barcode scanning, 200,000 food records, restaurant menus, and over 800 keto recipes are all included in the app. Every day, people can track their electrolyte intake and receive personalized keto recommendations.
One unique feature of this app is the ability to connect live with a nutritionist or receive online coaching.
Some reviewers mention having trouble logging foods and having problems with the app’s functionality.
- With this app, users can find hundreds of keto recipes and track their macros.
- They can calculate the total and net carbohydrate content of foods and meals, save their favorites, and create a shopping list.
- A beginners’ keto diet guide is available to help people understand the concept and get started right away.
Some reviewer’s express frustration with the app’s inability to log foods and its instability or freezing.
MyFitnessPal is free to use, but there is a paid premium version available.
MyFitnessPal is a popular app for tracking one’s nutrition and fitness.
- The app is a great source of nutritional information, with over 6 million foods in its database.
- Users can keep track of their meals and workouts. Although the app is not designed specifically for keto diets, users can customize their meals to meet their needs.
- Anyone who wants to visually track changes in their body can add photos to their weight entries.
The app does not have the ability to calculate the net carbohydrate content of foods. However, the app’s creators point out that people can calculate this by subtracting the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs in their diet.
4. Keto Diet Recipes
This app is free to download but has adverts.
- This app includes low carb recipes for all meals and snacks, as well as vegetarian options.
- The recipes specify how many grams of each macronutrient are present in the meal.
- People can create a shopping list directly from the recipes, and they can add meals to a favorites list. Offline, they have access to over 1,000 recipes.
5. Total Keto Diet
Total Keto Diet is available for free download.
With this app, users can find hundreds of keto recipes and track their macros.
They can calculate the total and net carbohydrate content of foods and meals, save their favorites, and create a shopping list.
A beginners’ keto diet guide is available to help people understand the concept and get started right away.
Some reviewers express frustration with the app’s inability to log foods and its instability or freezing.
The recipes do not detail the macros for individual ingredients, so people will be missing out on important information if they substitute ingredients they do not have or dislike.
Summary Various keto diet apps are available to meet people’s varying needs and levels of experience.
Some focus on macronutrient tracking and recipe development, while others allow people to track their fitness and get advice from professionals and the keto community.
Apps that detail net carbs rather than total carbs may be more useful to some people. They should also read reviews and examine the interface of an app to determine whether it is suitable for them.
Other apps and websites, such as YouTube and Reddit, provide information about keto diets. However, not all of this information will come from professionals who are qualified to educate people about nutrition.