Erectile Dysfunction (ED) symptoms include:
Being able to get an erection occasionally but not every time you want to have sex being able to get an erection but not having it last long enough for sex being able to get an erection but not having it last long enough for sex. ED is an indication of another health problem or health-related element when you can’t get an erection at any moment.
Erectile dysfunction is caused by a variety of factors?
ED can be caused or contributed to by a variety of conditions impacting your vascular system, neurological system, and endocrine system NIH external link.
Various illnesses and disorders
ED can be caused by the following disorders and conditions:
- type 2 diabetes
- heart and blood vessel disease NIH external link
- high blood pressure
- chronic kidney disease
- multiple sclerosis NIH external link
- Peyronie’s disease
- injury from treatments for prostate cancer, including radiation therapy and prostate surgery
- injury to the penis, spinal cord, prostate, bladder, or pelvis
- surgery for bladder cancer
Men with diabetes are two to three times as likely than men without diabetes to develop ED. Learn more about diabetes and urologic and sexual issues.
Taking specific medications
- blood pressure medicines NIH external link
- antiandrogens—medicines used for prostate cancer therapy NIH external link
- antidepressants NIH external link
- tranquilizers, or prescription sedatives—medicines that make you calmer or sleepy
- appetite suppressants, or medicines that make you less hungry
- ulcer medicines
Some psychological or emotional problems
ED can be exacerbated by psychological or emotional issues. If you have one or more of the following, you may get ED:
- fear of sexual failure
- anxiety NIH external link
- depression NIH external link
- guilt about sexual performance or certain sexual activities
- low self-esteem
- stress—about sexual performance, or stress in your life in general
Certain characteristics and activities that are linked to one’s health
ED may be caused by the following health-related causes and behaviors:
If you’re suffering from any of these symptoms, there are clinics that can assist you during this trying time. You can also write comments below to assist others.