There are ways to lose weight safely if your doctor recommends it. For the most effective long-term weight management, a consistent weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is recommended.
Having said that, many diets leave you feeling hungry or unsatisfied. These are some of the major reasons why you may struggle to stick to a healthier eating plan.
Not all diets, however, have this effect. Low carbohydrate diets and whole food, lower calorie diets are effective for weight loss and may be easier to follow than other diets.
Here are some weight-loss strategies that use healthy eating and potentially lower carbs to reduce appetite, lose weight quickly, and improve metabolic health all at the same time.
How to Lose Weight Quickly in 3 Easy Steps
- Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates.
Cutting back on sugars and starches, or carbohydrates, is one way to lose weight quickly. This could be accomplished through a low carbohydrate diet or by reducing refined carbs and replacing them with whole grains.
When you do this, your hunger levels decrease, and you eat fewer calories as a result. With a low carb diet, you will burn stored fat for energy rather than carbs.
If you choose to eat more complex carbs, such as whole grains, in addition to a calorie deficit, you will benefit from higher fiber and slower digestion. This increases their filling power, keeping you satisfied.
A 2020 study confirmed that a very low carbohydrate diet was effective for weight loss in older people. A low carb diet may also reduce appetite, which may lead to eating fewer calories without thinking about it or feeling hungry, according to research.
It should be noted that the long-term effects of a low carb diet are still being studied. A low carb diet can also be difficult to stick to, which can lead to yo-yo dieting and less success in maintaining a healthy weight.
There are some drawbacks to a low carb diet that may lead you to try something else. Reduced calorie diets can also result in weight loss and are easier to maintain over time.
A 2021 study found a link between a high whole grain diet and a lower body mass index if you choose whole grains over refined carbs (BMI)
- Consume proteins, fats, and vegetables.
Each of your meals should include the following ingredients:
- a source of protein, a source of fat, and vegetables
- a small amount of complex carbohydrates like whole grains
Eating the recommended amount of protein is critical for maintaining your health and muscle mass while losing weight. Protein consumption appears to improve cardiometabolic risk factors, appetite, and body weight. Protein-rich diets can also be beneficial:
- 60 percent reduction in food cravings and obsessive thoughts
- cut your desire to snack late at night in half and make you feel full
- In one study, people who ate more protein consumed 441 fewer calories per day.
Healthy protein sources include:
- meat: beef, chicken, pork, and lamb
- fish and seafood: salmon, trout, and shrimp
- eggs: whole eggs with the yolk
- plant-based proteins: beans, legumes, quinoa, tempeh, and tofu
Low-carb and leafy green vegetables
Don’t be afraid to pile your plate high with leafy green vegetables. They’re high in nutrients, and you can eat a lot of them without significantly increasing your calories and carbs.
Vegetables to include for low carb or low-calorie eating plans:
- Brussels sprouts
- Swiss chard
Fats that are good for you
Don’t be afraid to eat fat.
Whatever eating plan you choose, your body still requires healthy fats. Olive oil and avocado oil are both excellent choices for incorporating into your diet. Because of their higher saturated fat content, other fats such as butter and coconut oil should be used sparingly.
- Get your body moving.
While exercise is not required to lose weight, it can help you lose weight faster. Lifting weights has a lot of advantages.
Lifting weights will help you burn a lot of calories while also preventing your metabolism from slowing down, which is a common side effect of losing weight.
Lift weights at the gym three to four times per week. If you’re new to the gym, seek advice from a trainer. Make certain that your doctor is also aware of any new exercise plans.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, doing cardio workouts such as walking, jogging, running, cycling, or swimming can help you lose weight and improve your overall health.
Weight loss can be aided by both cardio and weightlifting.
What about calorie intake and portion size?
It is not necessary to count calories if you choose a low carb eating plan as long as you keep your carb intake very low and stick to protein, fat, and low carb vegetables.
If you’re having trouble losing weight, you should keep track of your calories to see if that’s a factor.
If you’re trying to lose weight by maintaining a calorie deficit, you can use a free online calculator like this one.
Enter your gender, weight, height, and level of activity. The calculator will tell you how many calories you should consume per day in order to maintain your weight, lose weight, or lose weight quickly.
Here are other weight loss tips
- Consume a high-protein breakfast. A high-protein breakfast may help to reduce cravings and calorie intake throughout the day.
- Sugary drinks and fruit juice should be avoided. Sugar calories are useless to your body and can stymie weight loss.
- Before meals, drink some water. According to one study, drinking water before meals reduces calorie intake and may help with weight loss.
- Choose foods that will help you lose weight. Some foods are more beneficial to weight loss than others. Here’s a list of healthy weight-loss foods.
- Consume soluble fiber. Soluble fibers have been shown in studies to aid in weight loss. Fiber supplements, such as glucomannan, can also be beneficial.
- Consume coffee or tea. Caffeine consumption can increase metabolism.
- Whole foods should be the foundation of your diet. They are more filling, healthier, and less likely to cause overeating than processed foods.
- Consume slowly. Eating quickly can lead to weight gain over time, whereas eating slowly makes you feel fuller and increases weight-loss hormones.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep is essential for a variety of reasons, and lack of sleep is one of the leading risk factors for weight gain.
Meal Plan Examples for Rapid Weight Loss
These sample meal plans are low carb, with carbs limited to 20–50 grams per day. Protein, healthy fats, and vegetables should be included in each meal.
If you want to lose weight while still eating complex carbs, include some healthy whole grains like: Quinoa, whole oats, whole wheat bran, rye, and barley
- a poached egg with sliced avocado and berries
- green smoothie with spinach, avocado, and nut milk and a side of cottage cheese spinach, mushroom, and feta crustless quiche
- Greek yogurt with berries and almonds, unsweetened
- smoked salmon with avocado and asparagus on the side lettuce wrap with grilled chicken, black beans, red peppers, and salsa
- BLT wrap with celery sticks and peanut butter kale and spinach salad with grilled tofu, chickpeas, and guacamole
- Enchilada salad with chicken, peppers, mango, avocado, and spices for dinner
- roasted cauliflower with tempeh, Brussels sprouts, and pine nuts antipasto salad with white beans, asparagus, cucumbers, olive oil, and Parmesan roasted cauliflower with tempeh, Brussels sprouts, and pine nuts
- Salmon with ginger, sesame oil, and roasted zucchini baked
- Hummus with cauliflower and vegetables
- homemade trail mix made with nuts and dried fruit
- chips made from kale
- Cinnamon and flaxseed cottage cheese
- roasted chickpeas with a kick
- pumpkin seeds, roasted
- steamed edamame tuna pouches
- brie and strawberries
How quickly will you lose weight?
You may lose 5–10 pounds (2.3–4.5 kg) or more in the first week of a diet plan, and then continue to lose weight consistently after that. The first week is usually characterized by a loss of both body fat and water weight.
Weight loss may occur more quickly if you are new to dieting. The more weight you have to lose, the more quickly you will lose it.
Losing 1–2 pounds per week is usually a safe amount, unless your doctor advises otherwise. If you want to lose weight faster, talk to your doctor about a safe level of calorie restriction.
Reduced appetite and hunger are likely if you reduce carbs or replace refined carbs with complex carbs. This eliminates one of the primary reasons why it is often difficult to stick to a weight loss plan.
You can eat healthy food until you’re full and still lose a significant amount of fat if you follow a sustainable low carb or lower calorie eating plan. Within a few days, the initial drop in water weight can lead to a drop in the scales. Fat loss takes more time.