Back and neck pain can have a significant influence on your everyday life, making it difficult to get around. Although this pain could indicate a more serious problem such as spinal stenosis, a bulging disc, or spinal arthritis, it could equally be the result of your age and present lifestyle. You can try a range of natural cures to relieve some of the discomforts in your neck and back in only a few minutes, allowing you to live a more peaceful and rewarding life. While you should always consult your doctor about serious concerns or potential injuries, you may be able to treat your symptoms from the comfort of your own home.
Here are some tips on How to Cure Neck & Upper Back Pain Naturally
- Use an ice pack
One of the most basic treatments for neck pain is ice. The chilly temperature will aid in the reduction of inflammation and pain. A package of frozen peas will also suffice.
In a plastic bag, place some smashed ice cubes.
Wrap a small towel around the plastic bag.
Apply the ice pack to your neck for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time.
For the first 24 hours, repeat this cure every two to three hours.
It’s important to remember that you should never put ice directly on your skin.
- In the shower, target the neck area with warm water for three to four minutes.
- For 30 to 60 seconds, switch to cold water and focus on the neck.
- Repetition is required as many times as necessary.
- Coldwater helps relieve inflammation while hot water increases blood circulation and relaxes stiff muscles.
Note: When you’re in the shower, maintain your neck straight and don’t turn your head in any direction.
- Bath with Epsom Salts
An Epsom salt bath can help ease muscle tension, stress, and provide pain relief right away. Epsom salt’s magnesium sulfate acts as a natural muscle relaxant, reducing swelling and pain.
- In a warm bath, add one to two cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak your entire body in it for 15 to 20 minutes, paying specific attention to the neck area.
- Do this every day until your neck ache is completely gone.
- If you have heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes, stay away from this cure.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that can instantly ease neck pain. It also contains a number of vital nutrients, reducing the risk of nutritional deficiency-related discomfort.
- A paper towel should be soaked in apple cider vinegar. Cover the damaged area of your neck with it. Allow it to run for a few hours. Repeat this process twice a day until the pain is gone.
- Alternatively, two cups of apple cider vinegar can be added to a lukewarm bath. Soak for at least 15 minutes in it. Do this once a day until you’ve fully recovered.
- Neck Exercises
Neck pain can be relieved by a variety of mobility exercises. Exercise will help to strengthen and stabilize the muscles in your neck and upper back. It will also assist in the reduction of stress.
Neck exercises, in particular, can assist to alleviate and prevent neck pain. Before beginning the workouts, apply moist heat to the neck.
- Slowly spin your neck clockwise and anti-clockwise in a circular fashion to help stretch out the irritated muscles. This may cause some discomfort at first, but it will eventually help your neck loosen up and heal.
- You can also move your neck from side to side and back and forth slowly.
- Each exercise should be done three times per day, five times per session. If the exercises are causing you too much pain, stop doing them and see your doctor.
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Relax your sore neck muscles by taking a hot bath or shower.
- Apply a few drops of lavender oil on your neck and shoulders.
- Massage the affected area for 10 minutes with mild pressure in small circular motions.
- Repeat as needed on a daily basis.
- Lavender oil can also be diluted with coconut or olive oil.
Note: If massaging the neck area causes pain, stop.
- Blackstrap Molasses
If you have neck pain caused by a nutrient shortage, such as a lack of calcium or potassium, blackstrap molasses is an excellent treatment option. It’s high in calcium and potassium, both of which are necessary for strong muscles, bones, and joints.
- In a glass of warm water, dissolve one spoonful of blackstrap molasses.
- This mixture should be consumed twice daily till the pain is relieved.
Additional Recommendations to Relieve Neck and Back Pain
- Allow your neck muscles to relax by lying down without a pillow.
- Reduce your stress levels because they can cause muscle strain.
- Do abdominal breathing exercises in a quiet, open environment. Relaxation techniques such as meditation and yoga should also be used.
- Maintain a decent posture. Maintain a balanced head and spine in relation to gravity.
- Maintain a healthy body mass index (BMI).
- Swimming is a great way to strengthen the muscles in your neck and back.
- While working, always sit on a comfy chair.
- Do not pinch your phone between your neck and shoulder; instead, hold it to your ear.
- While sleeping, sleep on a firm mattress with your head aligned with your spine.
- Smoking should be avoided because it slows down the healing process.
If your neck and back pain lasts longer than a week, is severe, or is accompanied by additional symptoms such as a lump in your neck, fever, swollen glands, arm pain, nausea, or vomiting, you should get medical help. If you’re seeking for a pain management plan, get in touch with The Orthopaedic & Pain Practice to learn more about your options. If you have any queries or would like more information about their services, please contact them. They can help you get back to feeling like yourself again.